On a low income, but not getting free prescriptions?

So many people don’t know about the NHS low income support scheme. If you are not getting Income Support or income based Jobseekers Allowance or ESA, but are on a low income, you may still be entitled to access free prescriptions and other help with healthcare.

From an NHS website:

How to find out if you are entitled to help with health costs on low income grounds

To find out if the NHS Low Income Scheme can help you, fill in an HC1 form (claim for help with health costs).

People who do not need to fill in form HC1

You do not need to fill in an HC1 if you, or your partner if you have one, are:

getting Income Support

  • getting income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • getting income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • getting Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • named on, or entitled to, an NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate
  • as the benefit or tax credits you or your partner gets already entitles you to full help with health costs.

    Also, do not fill in an HC1 if you, or you and your partner between you, have more than:

    • £16,000 in savings, investments or property (not counting the place where you live); or
    • £22,000 in savings investments or property if you live permananently in a care home in Wales; or
    • £23,250 in savings investments or property if you live permananently in a care home in England or Scotland

    as you cannot claim any help through the NHS Low Income Scheme.

    Where to get an HC1 form

    To get an HC1 form, if you live in:

    • England, you can order an HC1 to be posted to you.
    • Scotland, you can download and print off an HC1.  Please ensure you send all the pages of the completed form to us when you make your claim.  You can also get an HC1 at community pharmacies, GP practices, Citizens Advice Scotland offices and Job Centre Plus offices
    • Wales, you can get an HC1 by calling 0845 6031108.  Jobcentre Plus offices, NHS hospitals, dentists and opticians may also stock them too.

    Form Filling Service

    If you need help making your claim, call us on 0845 8501166.  One of our advisors will be pleased to help.  We can even fill the form in for you and send it to you to sign and return to us.

    See also:

    Direct.gov Help with Health costs.

    Direct.gov Help with Healthcare travel.


    Leave a Reply

    Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

    WordPress.com Logo

    You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

    Google+ photo

    You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

    Twitter picture

    You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

    Facebook photo

    You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


    Connecting to %s