More information about the proposed changes to DLA have been published and can be found here.
- It will be renamed Personal Independence Payment.
- It will be non means tested, and payable in and out of work.
- It will be introduced in 2013-14.
- There will be a Mobility component (two levels), and a Daily Living component (two levels).
- There will be a medical assessment for eligibility for the majority of people. It will be similar to the ESA medical.
- It will only be available to people who have had their disability for 6 months (currently 3), and are likely to have it for at least another 6 months.
- There will no longer be automatic qualification for people with certain disabilities, except for those who are terminally ill.
- All claimants will be periodically reviewed, instead of many having indefinite awards.
- More account will be made of aids and adaptations used by the claimant eg in assessing higher rate mobility a person’s ability to use a wheelchair may be taken into account.
- The document says they will take into account fluctuating conditions.
The Government is consulting the public about their proposals, which must be submitted by 14th February 2011. You can contact them by writing to:
DLA Reform Team
Fax: 0 2 0 7 4 4 9 5 4 6 7